Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Back In The Swing

I've been sleeping in for two weeks straight and was paranoid that my body would automatically continue on its slothful path on this, the girls' first day back at school. But no. I was up and at 'em, brushing teeth and hair, tracking down wayward shoes, shoving things in lunchboxes, zippering jackets and hollering, "Let's go, let's go, c'mon, c'mon," like I'd never taken a break. Strangely exhilarating.

I started thinking about the Beauty Conference, but because attempting to think critically is just not—this is not news, I know—it's just not my strong suit, I ended up making a hair appointment and going to the gym. Hahahahahahahaha! Both things that have to do with physical beauty (or attempts at physical beauty), sure, but let's just say I veered way off track from my original intention. Loser!

[quickly changing subjects] Tonight I read Lea the violently un-Disney version of The Little Mermaid (the description at Chronicle Books claims this adaptation will "delight a new generation of readers," but, well, though it's beautifully written, I'm not so sure delight is the best way to put it) in which la sirenita is stripped of her voice (this happens in Disney, but of course there it's regained), loses her fin even though she knows that every step she takes on human feet will feel like being pierced with a dagger, and does not win the prince. To keep from losing her life, her mermaid sisters direct her to stab the prince through his heart while he sleeps with his new bride. She stands over their bed with knife in hand, but can't follow through. And so she turns to seafoam and descends into the Realm of the Air. When we got to the depressing end, I put the book down and started to settle the covers around us. Lea was all, "Wait, wait, wait. Was that the end? That's not the end..."

"Yeah, that's the end. I know it's weird, right? What a weird story. Okay, go to sleep." And she did, but I don't think she'll make it through the night without calling for me. Which is what I deserve for 1) not previewing the story and then 2) not letting her talk through her discomfort before bumrushing her to sleep.

Okay, so...better get in a few hours of shuteye before the inevitable...

4 comments:

A. D. said...

glad i didn't read this story before i went to sleep last night. . . .

every step like being pierced with a dagger?

sheesh.

Rebecca Mabanglo-Mayor said...

Reminds me when I was in college and I had to break it to one of my classmates that Sleeping Beauty was /not/ woken by just a kiss...

By the look on her face, it was like I had just told her that Santa Claus was a crossdresser...

sevyzxgz: adj - the sense of being sevy. See SEVY (adj. sly).

ver said...

Yeah, AD, it kinda kept me up. And Lea woke up at three, of course.

And Bec, Santa Claus is a crossdresser...

yqfjq? (I'd like to buy a vowel)

Gladys said...

I loooooove that darker version of Little Mermaid. I saw a cartoon adaptation of it once on PBS when I was 7 or 8 (or maybe 9), and I felt betrayed when I watched the Disney version. Actually, when I saw that PBS cartoon, I was mad that the Little Mermaid didn't stab the prince to save herself. She lost her voice! She lost her fin! All for the love of a fickle man. I guess I was a crazy little feminist even then...