Blast it all to Serramonte, I should have known The Wily Filipino was referring to me when he passed the DVD baton to "Daly City." And even though the following pretty much guarantees that he will never, ever, ever want to hang out and go to a movie with me, I will play:
Total Number of Films I Own on DVD And Video:
Not too, too many.
The Last Film I Bought:
For obvious kid-related reasons, it might have been Mulan II. Or it might have been—and you can just shut up right now, dammit—The Last of the Mohicans, which I will always, always treasure for Daniel Day Lewis' ludicrous, "Stay alive! No matter what occurs, I will find you!" speech.
Five Films Which I Watch a Lot / Mean a Lot to Me:
1) Godfather I & II. And though there may now be a reason to love Sofia Coppola, I will never, ever, ever forgive her for completely ruining Godfather III, which I cannot even watch—despite my affinity for Andy Garcia—without retching.
2) Spirited Away. The girls love this. They freaked out the first time they saw Chihiro's parents turn into pigs, but it is nevertheless a favorite now. I love it because it doesn't go, "Here are the good guys—root for them!" and "Here are the bad guys—do not wish them well!" It just presents a brave girl navigating a freaky, complicated world. Which we all have to do, sooner or later.
3) West Side Story. I always murmur, "No, no, no, no," every time Bernardo dies. Maybe one of these times, he won't.
4) Gladiator. I can't explain it. I'm hopelessly drawn to this film.
5) Glory. I'm pretty much a sucker for any Ed Zwick/Marshall Herskovitz project. Make of that what you will, dear ones.
(Three) People I'm Passing the Baton to:
Did love ya like do this yet? And I enjoy sending these to my family. So... Lui and Detsie.
In other pop culture news, did anyone else watch the current episode of Six Feet Under and cry until overtaken by exhaustion? I didn't even think I liked Nate, and I went through half a box of Kleenex. And then tonight? I succombed to some sort of masochistic need to continue in my puffy-eyed state, and watched it again.
Maybe I'll watch it one more time while I stick a nail through my left earlobe. Geez.