Monday, August 22, 2005

All Downhill

It is the last week of summer, and I've officially been hit right between the eyes by the doldrums.

Next Tuesday I will bring R & V to their first day of Kindergarten. I will likely collapse in an inconsolable heap while they stoically march away hauling their oversized backpacks and Hello Kitty lunchboxes.

The following week they will be wearing eyeliner, smoking, and locking their bedroom door so they can talk to sullen teenage boys on the telephone. By mid-year they'll graduate from college, get jobs, buy houses, and call each other to complain about how annoying I am. And how annoying I have, in fact, been for their entire lives. And they will laugh and laugh and laugh about it.

I will shrivel up and perish.

It's so over.

9 comments:

bjanepr said...

ms. ver, you kill me! i'm thinkin maybe it wdnt be such a good idea to introduce them to tita barb, who was once the queen of abundant black eyeliner and sullen boys. hm!

Anonymous said...

You know, it did seem to go that fast for me. I can't believe my baby had a baby this year. She seems way to young (32). But, I hardly think they will ever remember you as anoying.

JD

Rebecca Mabanglo-Mayor said...

***hug***

They'll still need you, darlin', you'll see! At least that's the story I'm sticking with. My older one starts third grade next week and my younger has one more year before kindergarten, but yeah, when she turned 4 this month, I /knew/ my baby days were over. *sigh*

ver said...

Yes, miz barbara jane, with my luck you'd replace me as the world's most excellent person while I'm relegated to the "eternal dork" category...

Thanks for the encouragement J.D. and Bec! This too shall pass. I s'pose.

Princess Leia said...

Yikes -- this is a hard one. My neighbor's kid attends a super touchy feely school so they had kindermommy support groups after the drop-off through the fall and winter when he started.

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

at least they're not headed for westmoor high any time soon :-)

phillip.

ver said...

Thankfully, they're not headed to Westmoor ever!

Anonymous said...

welcome to my world. YOU are the very cool aunt. I am the mother that says you aren't not wearing those pants to school so everyone can see your butt crack. sigh...
JG

ver said...

Yup. It's all starting to make sense now.