Friday, July 16, 2004

No Wonder

Yesterday, when I stopped at a bookstore to pick up Paul O. Zelinsky's stunning, Caldecott-winning version of Rapunzel for my girls, I overheard this exchange between a father and his 9-year-old (or so) daughter:

Girl: Dad, can I have this book?
Dad: If I get that for you, you have to write a two-page book report about it.
Girl: [silent for a few seconds] Why?
Dad: Because that's the rule.
Girl: But why? Why do I have to do that?
Dad: That way I know you learned something.

And then they wandered off, she with the book still in her hands, but not looking too sure of herself. Anyways, I was just thinking that party poopers like this Dad must be among the reasons that reading is in trouble.

Pick up a book, my people. In fact, make it Pinoy Poetics, which is on special thru August 31st.

No comments: