Sunday, July 25, 2004

Empanada-ing

I stayed up past midnight last night making empanadas. Would I rather have been at Luj's gig wearing hoop earrings and spinning in circles? Well, of course, but 'twas not an option for me. Using my unique brand of logic, I decided to make empanadas instead.

I have come to the conclusion that though I truly desire it, I have no "quiet mind"; I only have "monkey swinging from branch-to-branch mind." The closest I get is when everyone's asleep, and I'm cooking. Anyways, I made the empanada dough and the filling earlier in the day. That way, once the house got hushy at around ten I could get straight to the meditative part of the process: knead, roll, cut, fill, crimp. Over and over and over again. Isn't it so excellent when tangible effort produces tangible reward? Of course, the real reward will come later since I didn't actually bake any of the lovely little half moons. They went straight into the freezer because I'm bringing them up to the lake next week. But more on that later.

When I was all done, I read for a little while and ended up empa-nodding off with flour still in my hair. It was a good night.

No comments: