Monday, October 17, 2005

Return of the V.

Tentatively re-entering the blogosphere, here. I've decided to take Jean's advice and not try to force things. All I get for it, after all, is a page of the world's clunkiest prose. And I'm sure you've figured out by now that I care nothing for clunky prose, clunky shoes, clunky jewelry, or clunky anything, really.

I shall now focus on the many bright moments that have happened on the premises in the last few days:

1) Playdate with Izzy and The Wily Filipino! (aka Sunny). I have to give it up for Izzy, who held her own while in the company of three extremely loud and unsubtle children. Izzy is very Zen. Here, she is a superb influence on Lea, who would normally be sitting atop the table trying to decorate cookies using only her toes:

When Sunny & Izzy first arrived, Vida said, "So, how do you and Sunny know each other?" And I said, "Actually, we don't!" We had, in fact, never met. Unless, of course, you count Sunny walking out on an event at which I was reading (something about my piercing voice and unholy delivery of material, methinks). Anyways, we became fast friends and are now hatching a master plan for...hold on to your Ashton Kutcher wedding fedoras for this one...a possible Pinoy Holiday Blogger Party. We shall see.

Now, for your viewing pleasure,one pan of the girls' Halloween cookies right before they were put in the oven (prizes, I think, for anyone who can identify what shapes, exactly, these are supposed to be):



And here are the remains, along with sugared-up smiles from 3 out of 4 playdaters:



Thanks for the pictures, Sunny!

2) A postcard from an albino monkey in Nashville! Yay!:



3) And a big 'ol fat letter from a certain poet whose certain 2nd book has just been accepted for publication by a certain publisher. Yay again!:



I was so ridiculously excited to receive a letter that I tore it open as I walked back to the house, promptly sat down on the porch to read it, and ignored all screams and pleas for help from my kids until I was finished. The sun shone through the leaves on the birch trees, and I was happy.

14 comments:

Gura said...

quite a few pumpkins, a broom, and what could possible be a haunted castle, cuz it looks like the other tray has the cats and bats.

Gladys said...

shoot, gura beat me to it!!! but i totally would have gotten the broom wrong anyway; i thought it was a bell or something.

welcome back, ver. looking forward to your reading with marianne v. next month....

Anonymous said...

ghosts. gura missed the ghosts.

Jean Vengua said...

the kids are so cuuute! Izzy really looks like her Dad! A pinoy blogger party sounds like great fun! We should all come dressed as our blog.

ver said...

Verrrrry good, gura. And, Kuya, there are no ghosts!

Yay, Gladys is coming to Eastwind. I'm now totally obsessed with face-to-face meetings with my blogroll.

Jean, yes! I could wear a nest skirt. On second thought, it might make me more hip-palicious than necessary. The Wily Filipino came over wearing his "The Wily Filipino" hoodie. I was so jealous.

A. D. said...

*Ahem*, albino ape—great ape even.

I see the pumpkins and the broom, the cats and the bats . . . but what the heck is the polygon-looking one?

I'm no good at geography, but it's looking like a foreign country to me.

Welcome back.

ver said...

Hiya a.a. (albino ape)...I think that's also one of the haunted houses, but that it's a bit smushed because someone got a little too agressive with the spatula when transferring it to the pan.

na said...

A party where we dress as our blogs would be fun as I'd have to come drunk.

Oh, wait...I guess (ahem) I party every day!

As for those cookies, all those decorations make me think of big brooches....CHURCH LADY BLING BLINGS!!!!

Gladys said...

I'm not sure how to dress as my blogs, but I'm thinking of a frilly pink dress with burgundy tulle and a beauty queen tiara. Hee hee.

I am so jealous of Wily's hoodie too.

ver said...

Maybe I will tuck little blue robins' eggs in my hair?...

Jean Vengua said...

Are you serious that Sunny has a Wily Filipino hoodie? I know that some bloggers do have "products."

If i come dressed as Okir, it should be pretty easy; just wear a dress with a lot of swirly baroque stuff on it.

ver said...

He really does have one! It's so kewl.

Anonymous said...

I think I'll have to post a picture of me and my hoodie now -- Hey Ver! Should I post that photo of Nesting Ground's nesting ground?

ver said...

Yes, you and your hoodie! And, yes, my little nesting ground (feel free to photoshop out anything that might be embarrassing or possibly incriminating)...