Monday, October 24, 2005

Beasts Beneath My Window

At 2:00 this morning, the spousal unit and I were awakened by the horror-movie sounds of two animals (type unknown) either

1) making mad, passionate, beastly love

or

2) attempting to rip each other's hearts out for the purpose of a) nourishment; b) kicks; or c) sating their mutual beastly hatred.

Really, it was gross. The sounds were guttural, yet melodic. A cross between a newborn's cries, a gurgling brook of blood, and the stifled scream of a C movie actress about to be slain by a masked fiend with mommy issues.

"WTF? WTF is that?"

"Raccoons or something."

"Jesus."

And then for some reason, I proceeded to have the world's longest cough attack. Not wanting to disturb the SU's sleep any further, I took my pillow, dug hopelessly for blankets in the linen closet (I produced three infant ones that the girls now use for their dolls), and lay down in the den. I placed blanket #1 over my feet and knees, blanket #2 over my center, and blanket #3 over my top, where it rested just under my chin. Then I tried not to move, for moving would upset the delicate balance of blanket coverage. Needless to say, not much sleep. At 3:25, Lea awoke screaming "Mom! Mom!" I stumbled down the hall and into her room, actually quite thankful for at least being in a bed with actual blankets. She threw a leg over me, kissed my forehead, and promptly fell back asleep. I, however, did not.

I woke up forty minutes late. Forty minutes! And yet, and yet...I made it out the door on time looking quite put together and with the children properly fed, dressed, coiffed, and jacket-ed.

This is dangerous.

Do you know why this is dangerous? Because it proves that I can actually sleep in for an extra 40 minutes and still meet our time obligations.

If there were a way to circle this back around to the Beasts Beneath My Window, I would. But it turns out...I'm not that good.

(Damn)

6 comments:

na said...

....but you just did circle back with that self-referential second-to-last paragraph...in turn offering a paradoxical, faux self-deprecating postmodern turn.

Didn't know you were so deeep.

Wink.

ver said...

Uh-huh. That's what I meant.

Princess Leia said...

Cats humping, that's what I've got my money on.

Gura said...

by sunday, you'll be 20 minutes ahead of schedule. thank you daylights savings.

profile said...

reading your blog today reminded me of the t-rex-escaped-2-california-suburbia scene in jurassic park. i can't wait for the new kingkong.

word verification letters of the night: vrtbwzlg -rolling eyes-

f course, i have to do it again:

ktabj

Gladys said...

i like mine: syzpa

it sounds like it could be a real word.

ver, i'm utterly fascinated by the beasts and their beastly, er, love. (do 1 and 2 have to be mutually exclusive, by the way?) did you ever figure out what they were?