Thursday, July 07, 2005

Summer Reading

Quite happy to have picked up Sabina Murray's (and why do we not know more about this PEN/Faulkner Award-winning Filipina?) A Carnivore's Inquiry on yesterday's rounds. One of the reviews likens the writing style to that of Angela Carter. And what a coincidence since last week I picked up a $3.99 copy of Carter's Burning Your Boats: The Collected Short Stories. Dangerous, beautiful reading ahead! Also in the queue is Paula Gunn Allen's biography, Pocahantas.

I don't know how to account for my new interest in biographies. Last weekend at the lake after finishing Dark Lover: The Life & Death of Rudolph Valentino, I was so sad. I knew the book would end with his death at age thirty-one, but I was still somehow surprised. In his closet at the time of his sudden hospitalization were, among many other things, 146 pairs of socks, 28 pairs of spats, 13 canes, 110 silk handkerchiefs embroidered with his initials, and 22 white vests. Which makes me wonder...how many white vests does one guy need? Anyways, fascinating read.

Little time, many books.

No comments: