Monday, May 14, 2007

Various & Sundry Items, Including the Need For a Time-Freeze Machine

UPDATE AND/OR LATE REALIZATION: The wording of this post's title was subconsciously stolen from Barbara Jane. I find this amusing.

Oh, my. I see I have been neglecting my duties here at Nesting Ground. First of all, I'm a big huge loser for not being able to make it to tomorrow's Bay Area appearance by tireless Comfort Woman activist and writer, Evelina Galang. If you are not in my loser club, I hope you can show your support:

LABAN FOR THE LOLAS: FIGHTING FOR THE RIGHTS OF "COMFORT WOMEN"
Emergency Meeting and Informational Session on House Resolution 121

Special Presentation and Reading Featuring M. Evelina Galang
Along with Barbara Reyes Bermeo, Allyson Tintiangco-Cubales, Claudine delRosario, Korina Jocson, Jocyl Sacramento, and Michelle Ferrer

Date: Tuesday May 15, 2007

Time: 6-8:30 P.M.

Location: The Filipino Community Center / 35 San Juan Avenue @ Mission / San Francisco

LABAN! is the war cry of the lolas when they are on the streets of Manila. LABAN MGA LOLA!

***

I have been absorbed in...

...oddly gratifying domestic pursuits, such as the cleaning of baseboards and the dusting of tight corners.

...Isabel Allende's The House of the Spirits. I bought the Everyman's Library edition because I'm obsessed with the gold ribbon bookmarks and perfectly sized pages. One day I will have every book in the catalog, and I'll take a picture for you.

...the final paragraph of my almost-done story, plus another section that may or may not belong in said story.

...the assembling of cake-making ingredients because cakes must be baked, dear ones, for the cakewalk at R & V's school carnival this weekend. Confession: I had no idea what a cakewalk was until last year.

...beginnings and endings, inspired by my cousin Lui's graduation from USC last Friday. I made the trip to LA, of course, and screamed myself hoarse as she crossed the stage to snag her diploma.

...locating a time-freeze machine and deciphering the instructions as quickly as possible. The reason? My firstborns:

6 comments:

Gura said...

i remember cakewalks at the school carnival though one year there weren't any home made cakes, just boxes from safeway.

ver said...

Boxes from Safeway?! That's soooo sad...

Tracey said...

LOVE House of Spirits. And cake.

Dean said...

Hi, I have a huge favor to ask. Do you have a digital copy of "Meteorite Mountain" by Can Xue? I'd love to read it and share it with my critique group. If it's okay with you, my email is deanalfar@gmail.com. If not, no prob :) Thanks!

ver said...

Hi T! Um, don't you have a kid or four to tend to? And because I already know the answer to that question, I will...bake you a cake.

Hi Dean. First, thanks for reminding me that I need to update the list I'm keeping in my sidebar! Second, give me a few days, and I'll scan the story and e-mail you. I'm all about customer service, ya know.

Dean said...

Thank you, thank you! :)