Sunday, January 16, 2005

Kitchen Police

Dad is home from the hospital with orders to maintain a low sodium diet. I find this simultaneously sad and hilarious. Needless to say, my parents needed a visit from The Kitchen Police. So this afternoon we went to visit, and I demonstrated that, yes, it's possible to cook an edible meal using less than a 1/4 teaspoon of salt (nice to meet ya, Mrs. Dash). I ended up improvising chicken breasts with crimini mushrooms and caramelized onions, couscous, and cucumbers with a little feta. I was in luck because compared to the food in the hospital, my little meal was a veritable explosion of flavor.

With lunch done, I moved on to confiscating dangerous items from the kitchen. Here's a partial list of things removed:

1) Seven packages sinigang soup mix (Knorr and Mama Sita's)
2) Three packages Hawaiian-style curry sauce mix
3) Two packages afritada menudo mix
4) Two packages Mama Sita's palabok gravy mix
5) One package Mama Sita's barbecue marinade mix (940 mg of sodium in one tablespooon!)
6) Two containers garlic salt
7) Two bottles patis (one Filipino, one Thai)
8) Five containers soy sauce (three standard, one with calamansi, one especially for sashimi)
9) One jumbo bottle Maggi
10) Seaweed salad, hot dogs, spam
11) Chicken bouillon
12) Two containers iodized salt, one large box kosher salt

I'm so thirsty.

p.s. Thanks, all, for your concern. You're awfully nice.

No comments: