Tuesday, December 14, 2004

On Intrinsic Motivation

Deeply inspired by this book, I am trying to eliminate the use of rewards and punishments around this place. I am aiming, instead, to light the fire of intrinsic motivation in my offspring--you know, inspiring them to do the right thing simply because they know in their hearts it's the right thing.

Anyways, it blows.

Let's say that Vida (Little Miss It's-Your-Decision-It's-Your-Body-It's-Your-Power) is poised to roll the gigantic green exercise ball down the stairs in an attempt to injure Lea who has, quite innocently, upset some make-believe play involving a rocking horse, two dinosaurs, and a basket of yellow blocks. Now. Living under my new rule of no punishments/no rewards, I am forced to keep a cool head and skillfully, patiently explain to Vida why this would not be a good thing to do. This is about 400 times harder and more time-consuming than having the following exchange:

Me: Vida! Vida! If you do not step away from the stairs I will put you outside. I will lock the door. I will tell the squirrels to attack you.

Vida: No you won't.

Me: Yeah? You watch me. Go ahead and watch me.

[A brief glaring contest ensues. I emerge victorious.]

Vida: Okay. Sheeeesh.

So you see the difficulty. And yet, and yet...I'll keep at it because--oh the irony!--I will one day reap the rewards.

No comments: