Monday, December 20, 2004

Behold! Icy-Crispy Dragon Beard Candy!

Lea and I were in the checkout line at Ranch 99 on Saturday when we became a captive audience to six people performing an intricate ballet of grassroots commerce. One unrolled a poster--easily seven feet tall--and affixed it to the stand. It announced with dramatic black-and-gold fanfare the arrival of "Icy-Crispy Dragon Beard Candy." Another began the painstaking table display, while two others took their seats behind the table, readying themselves for the onslaught of customers. The lone white guy constructed the cardboard towers that would soon (one could only assume) house boxes and boxes of the mysterious candy. But they weren't just going old-school, people. A kid who looked no older than ten set up a computer, firmly establishing the production as a full-fledged multimedia experience.

But by this time my transaction was complete, and the passenger in my grocery cart did not care to linger. "But Lea, look! It's 'Icy-Crispy Dragon Beard Candy!' Let's watch for a little while. They're almost done. What do you think it is? Look! Look at the picture!"

"It smells like fish in here, Mama. I want to go."

"Good point. But it's called 'Icy-Crispy Dragon Beard Candy!' Don't you want to know what it is? I'm so curious!"

"Mama, I am not curious."

I tried to devise another argument, but short of rewarding or bribing the kid (and we all know how I feel about that at the moment), I could find no way to satisfy my increasingly feverish desire to learn more about Icy-Crispy Dragon Beard Candy.

Until now.

Ladies/gents, may I present...Icy-Crispy Dragon Beard Candy. A quick look at the "Tour Dates" page reveals that we were almost witness to a "Rare Live Dragon Beard Candy Demonstration" and that I would have received an icy-crispy sample.

*screams*

No comments: