Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Notebook Fa-Reak

Just poking my head out from under this growing mountain of laundry to confess my notebook fetish. I am particular about them. Spiral-bound from Walgreen's? I don't think so. And while I admire those people who have piles of classic black and white speckled Mead composition books lined up on a shelf, I am not one of those people.

Instead, I am one those people who makes a pilgrimage to Kinokuniya Stationery Store in J-Town to stock up on Kyokuto notebooks. Because the paper is creamy to the touch, the ruled lines are crisp and perfectly spaced, and the covers come in a huge assortment of colors and designs. I can stay in that tiny store for an hour, nodding every now and again with perfect understanding at my fellow notebook fetishists.

And then I will stop at that Brown Bag place on Fillmore for Clairefontaine clothbound notebooks--the largest size. The covers are sort of Euro-crazy, but the paper! The paper is so smooth.

If I am anywhere that has an offering of famed Moleskine notebooks--usually a bookstore like Green Apple, Books Inc., Cody's--chances are good that I will buy one. There's something about the combination of ribbon marker, elastic closure, and little accordion pocket in the back that lures me.

If for whatever reason (three kids, let's just say) I cannot make it out-of-doors to procure notebooks, I will simply satisfy my cravings online. Just look at these beauties from Russell & Hazel.

Oh, my. My feathers are twitching...I feel an urge coming on...

No comments: