Monday, September 12, 2005

(And, Of Course, I Caught a Cold)

The rhythm of our days is changing, and though it's interesting in an "I-don't-think-we're-in-Kansas-anymore" kinda way, I've never been good with change. I fall on my face, engage in petty dramas, and generally raise a ruckus until I finally collapse in submission.

Our weekday mornings are like bad slapstick now, the highlight being the six or so minutes I run around with a hairbrush yelling nonsense like, "If you don't want to brush it, why don't we just shave off all your hair? Yeah, yeah, that's what we'll do. We'll shave! it! all! off!" And then there's breakfast. If I do not start it at 7:26 and set it on the table by 7:34, all is lost. These, my friends, are the eight minutes on whose shoulders stand all the minutes of the remaining day. While they eat, I have ten minutes to make myself presentable (which, by the way, is about ten less than I actually require).

Breakfast is followed by The Big Push. If I turn the key in the lock at 8:05, if the girls are buckled in their booster seats at 8:09, if I pull away from the curb at 8:10, I am victorious. And to the victor, of course, go the spoils.** In my case, two hours and fifteen minutes of...silence.

**Yes, for better or worse, I'm into Rome.

7 comments:

Gladys said...

I can't believe how complicated all that sounds! (Hmm, wonder if I'll be ready for kids in the next couple of years....)

Hope you get better. I'm getting over a cold myself. I've started to swear by Cold-Eeze--they work!

OBermeo said...

what happened to TROY?

Agamemnon: History remembers KINGS, not soldiers!

ver said...

ob, we need to start a Secret Society of Those Who Loved Troy. I do believe Ms. Barbara Jane was especially impressed by the several scenes in which it appeared the males were slathered in olive oil...

ver said...

And Gladys...oh, you'll be fine with one or two underfoot! It's all about adaptability and whether or not you're comfortable with the idea of not being able to shower daily.

OBermeo said...

re: the TROY society
i am all about that. ima send ya the footage of my bestest brad pitt impersonation from the last ACENTOS. no sound but i am sure you will get the jist of it.

re: Olive Oil
very last year. now lemme tell you, almond oil... that, as the kids say these days, is what really really good

love ya like epic poems love homer

bjanepr said...

ha! ms. barbara jane likens TROY to some wish-it-could-be-hotter boy-on-boy action (my thing for olive oil notwithstanding) - could i have more well-waxed, well-cut, well-glossed near full frontal male nudity, please? thank ya very much.

ver said...

OMG, bj! Your new icon looks exactly the way you would look if you were actually sitting here uttering the words of your comment!! Can you do that every time?!!

ob, ida paid to see you do that!!

I'll have to challenge you on your almond oil point, though. I do believe this year's oil is grapeseed oil. Oh, wait. That's just for cooking...