Thursday, October 07, 2004

Silenced!

Imagine my chagrin when a fellow student, uncomfortable with the number of writers in the group, showed up at Meanings of Motherhood class brandishing a self-styled document declaring that what is said in class must stay in class, and that quotes--whether attributed or not--were strictly forbidden. She had typed out each of our names and was now asking that we sign the paper.

A journalist (one who will not mind being quoted here) sitting beside me said that her code of ethics would prevent her from using the class for material without consent anyways. I signed the damn thing smiling and thinking to myself I'm a fiction writer, and I have no ethics.

That said, this is the last you will hear of my little foray back into the classroom. (Is that a collective sigh of relief I hear?)

No comments: